Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Synfig for Slackware Part 1


I'm interrupting my series to discuss  a program which was an inspiration for this blog. I always wanted to do animation but I couldn't get along with people well enough for the traditional stuff.  I liked Macromedia Director but couldn't afford it, and by the time I cold Adobe owned it  and their DRM made me allergic to their products.

Synfig Studio is an open source vector animation program.  As such it has its issues.    The vector drawing component in particular is abomination.  While the Blender project has done several proof-of-concept projects, most notably Big Buck Bunny, a group of Russians have been working on Maria Morevna  since 2007, which recently morphed into a web series.   And which is trying to raise money to finish the first episode while supporting development of the software.


I may get back to that but some disclaimers first.   Since it is oen source Ican install it on Slackware.   How, the article's  topic, is crazy and I take no responsibility for anyone who follows my lead.  In particular the second step.   I'm on a new computer and I'm repeating these steps as I type them but while they've  worked for years a time passes they get crazier.

Slackware is close enough to plain vanilla Linux  so it's pretty straightforward to compile and install programs, but if you just do that the OS won't know where they are.  Debian has deb files, Red Hat/Fedora rpms and Slackware tgz or txz files.      You can create your own files.    In Slackware you use SlackBuild scripts.  You can get them for old versions of  Synfig at Slacky.eu.    You need 3:

ETL
Synfig
Synfig Studio


I only linked to the scripts.  Get the source code here:
Synfig source
Again, get all 3 packages.  




No comments:

Post a Comment